Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Adventures of Arthur...Our Elf on the Shelf

This was the second year that we added a tiny little guy all dressed in red to our family for the month of December.  Our Elf on the Shelf's name is Arthur, and all year long the boys remember him, talk about him, and look forward to his arrival after Thanksgiving.  Our elf made his big return on December 1st, and provided a month-long of fun, memories...and extra good behavior (along with a few middle of the night panic moments, when I woke up realizing the little guy forgot to hide in a new spot)!

I have to admit, I was hesitant about the whole Elf on the Shelf thing when it first became popular a year ago.  I debated whether or not to get one for the boys, because I didn't want their sole focus to become presents instead of the true meaning of Christmas; and I didn't want their kindness to become ungenuine.  But I have to say, our elf is one of our new favorite holiday family traditions, and it has little to do with his nightly "report" back to Santa.  I think that when our elf arrives, somehow it instantly becomes Christmas time.  We have found ways to use our elf to incorporate the true meaning of Christmas, and the importance of being kind, giving, and loving to others at all times of the year.  But what I love most about having our elf come visit us each year is that he brings along with him the spirit of Christmas, and a sense of joy and wonder that I absolutely love seeing in my little guy's eyes.    

This year, our elf made his grand entrance with a North Pole Breakfast surprise!  The breakfast included donuts, cookies, pancakes, fruit, hot chocolate, and cotton candy, of course!  He also brought the boys both a box of Christmas treats!



Here are some of Arthur's adventures from this year...



No comments:

Post a Comment